arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
Thomas Schreiber, Holger Kantz
Progress: 29/320 pages
Neurodiversity in Higher Education: Positive Responses to Specific Learning Differences
David Pollak
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 110/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe

Reading progress update: I've read 26 out of 397 pages.

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome - Tony Attwood

Aspies "lack empathy." This is, of course, complete bollocks. What one normally thinks of as empathy, i.e. being able to recognise what emotions a person is likely to be feeling in certain circumstances, is something that on the average, Aspies are no better or worse at than neurotypicals. A concrete example; if you've suffered a bereavement I can empathise because I have, too.

This is not actually what Attwood is referring to when he uses the term, "empathy." What he means is recognising a person's emotional state from non-verbal signals such as facial expression, body language and physical gestures. Aspies are indeed usually below average at doing this, but using the term "empathy" in this technical sense contributes to horrible misunderstanding by the general public and negative (false) stereotyping. I further note that Attwood fails to explain the difference, which is really poor. I am only aware of this from an educational class for Aspies run by a British psychologist.