arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Claudio Chiuderi, Marco Velli
Progress: 3/250 pages
Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 359/700 pages
Selected Short Stories - Conrad (Wordsworth Classics)
Keith Carabine, Joseph Conrad
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 108/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Gravitation (Physics Series)
Kip Thorne;Kip S. Thorne;Charles W. Misner;John Archibald Wheeler;John Wheeler
Progress: 48/1215 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 26 out of 397 pages.

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome - Tony Attwood

Aspies "lack empathy." This is, of course, complete bollocks. What one normally thinks of as empathy, i.e. being able to recognise what emotions a person is likely to be feeling in certain circumstances, is something that on the average, Aspies are no better or worse at than neurotypicals. A concrete example; if you've suffered a bereavement I can empathise because I have, too.

This is not actually what Attwood is referring to when he uses the term, "empathy." What he means is recognising a person's emotional state from non-verbal signals such as facial expression, body language and physical gestures. Aspies are indeed usually below average at doing this, but using the term "empathy" in this technical sense contributes to horrible misunderstanding by the general public and negative (false) stereotyping. I further note that Attwood fails to explain the difference, which is really poor. I am only aware of this from an educational class for Aspies run by a British psychologist.