arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Life and Letters of Charles Darwin - Volume 1: By Charles Darwin - Illustrated
Charles Darwin
Progress: 152/346 pages
Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 359/700 pages
Plasma physics
R.A. Cairns
Progress: 18/244 pages
Selected Short Stories - Conrad (Wordsworth Classics)
Keith Carabine, Joseph Conrad
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 108/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being
Ted Hughes
Progress: 471/517 pages
Gravitation (Physics Series)
Kip Thorne;Kip S. Thorne;Charles W. Misner;John Archibald Wheeler;John Wheeler
Progress: 48/1215 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 124 out of 397 pages.

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome - Tony Attwood

Anti-bullying strategies: Aspies are more prone to being the targets of bullies than neurotypicals for reasons that are explained but are probably fairly obvious by this point in the book. The strategies presented here are applicable to everyone, though, and should be adopted by all schools everywhere. One thing that is mentioned in passing is teacher - pupil bullying. This was something I experienced repeatedly and frequently in school from several teachers in the form of character assassinations that proved to have a long-lasting (years after exiting school) and fairly devastating impact, far worse than any and all the pupil-pupil bullying I experienced put together.

One would hope that education (of the school staff) would help prevent this but I'm pretty sure that some teachers (hopefully a very small number) are just willfully ignorant bigots who like emotionally abusing people in their power i.e. pupils. How to deal with such people is much trickier than the already tough problem of school-yard bullies - and there's no advice on it here.

A disturbing chapter to read; I really don't like thinking back to school days; it was a horrible environment for me, though there were numerous positive aspects, too.