arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Claudio Chiuderi, Marco Velli
Progress: 3/250 pages
Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 359/700 pages
Selected Short Stories - Conrad (Wordsworth Classics)
Keith Carabine, Joseph Conrad
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 108/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Gravitation (Physics Series)
Kip Thorne;Kip S. Thorne;Charles W. Misner;John Archibald Wheeler;John Wheeler
Progress: 48/1215 pages
Python and Matplotlib Essentials for Scientists and Engineers (Iop Concise Physics) - Matt A. Wood

This "book", as with a lot of technical literature, started off life as a set of lecture notes. Unfortunately, it's still a set of lecture notes, not a book: there's no index, the pagination resets at the beginning of each chapter and there's simply not enough information or illustration  given. This is illustrated by the amount of time I've spent looking things up on-line. The point of having a book (for me) was to not have to keep switching windows and doing Google searches so much. I don't see it working well as an introduction to programming in general or to Python in particular, except as regards Chapter 2, about how to deal with the bewildering array of possible Python downloads, versions, development environments, bells and whistles. I've got another book on Python which is much bigger. It cost me more, so I'm hoping there is both more info in it and a more professional approach to book design.