arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Charles Darwin: A New Life
Progress: 359/700 pages
Plasma physics
R.A. Cairns
Progress: 4/244 pages
Selected Short Stories - Conrad (Wordsworth Classics)
Keith Carabine, Joseph Conrad
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 108/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being
Ted Hughes
Progress: 369/517 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 288 out of 675 pages.

Einstein: His Life And Universe - Walter Isaacson

Einstein and General Relativity in the 1920s came under attack from German anti-Semitic Nationalists; "Jewish science" was somehow intrinsically, morally wrong. Recently, Harper, a right-wing pro-business, sod the environment nightmare, banned Canadian government employees (including scientists) from discussing climate change. The same has happened under Trump. I believe some science and scientists were repressed/persecuted under Stalin, also. The number of religious movements that deny all or some science is beyond easy count. There seems to be some connection between fervid Nationalist/Authoritarian/Totalitarian/Religious extremist thought that simply attempts to deny our best understanding of reality if it contradicts or inconveniences it and to impose this fake world-view on everyone else. It should rings as many alarm bells as loudly as those now sounding about blatant or more subtle anti-feminist, racist, Nationalist, militaristic, hetero-normative, trans-discriminatory policies and attitudes we are daily confronted with.

I would like to confirm that my view on Stalin is correct as I can't conjure any definite examples, it's just a vague notion that I've come across evidence of it before. I'd really like to hear from you if know of any supporting or contradictory evidence.

I'd also like to hear views on my thesis that science routinely comes into conflict with extreme views simply because it is the most balanced and sceptical world view humanity as ever invented.