arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Charles Darwin: A New Life
Progress: 359/700 pages
Plasma physics
R.A. Cairns
Progress: 4/244 pages
Selected Short Stories - Conrad (Wordsworth Classics)
Keith Carabine, Joseph Conrad
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 108/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Shakespeare and the Goddess of Complete Being
Ted Hughes
Progress: 369/517 pages

Information Theory, James Stone

Information Theory: A Tutorial Introduction - James V. Stone

Eggzellent stuff!

What a great intro to a subject I found fascinating and is widely applicable: Digital communications, computing, neuro-science and other biological sciences, linguistics (a favourite) and then there's my secret application that made me want to read the book in the first place...but you won't find it in the book. There is a proper glossary of technical terms, something that long term readers of my reviews know I think is essential and yet all too frequently absent. There are also appendices on various topics in probability and statistics that are relevant and you may be unfamiliar with or in need of a quick refresher about. This is also good textbook writing, in my view, as is including XKCD cartoons (with permission). The latter are even relevant!

I found it straightforward to follow what was going on despite having been solidly rebuffed by my previous encounters with the subject. I think this is mainly because some opaque terminology is properly and thoroughly defined and explained and put into a practical context as soon as possible. I strongly recommend this if you ever have a need to learn the basics of the subject and thanks to whomever recommended it to me!