arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 110/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Gravitation (Physics Series)
Kip Thorne;Kip S. Thorne;Charles W. Misner;John Archibald Wheeler;John Wheeler
Progress: 48/1215 pages
I Am a Cat
Graeme Wilson, Aiko Ito, Sōseki Natsume
Progress: 357/638 pages

Reading progress update: I've read 24 out of 527 pages.

Charles Darwin: A New Life - John Bowlby

Darwin was ill for extensive periods of his adult life. There is convincing reason to believe that he was prone to anxiety and that many of his physical symptoms were caused by chronic hyperventilation. The author argues that the anxiety (and rarer bouts of depression) are a result of childhood trauma, vis, bereavement and trouble with his father. The hypothesis of autism, however, not only explains all of the above but also the kind of single minded focus that leads one to spend 8 years classifying every know living and fossil species of barnacle and 20 years developing a theory of evolution, as well as apparent aspects of his interactions with others. It also explains the specific triggers of Darwin's anxiety. The two theories aren't mutually exclusive, but since autism explains more, I am currently convinced by it, though I gather that the idea remains controversial. Still a very long distance to go, though, and I particularly want to check if the social interaction ideas stand up to closer examination.