arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Station Zero
Robert Chandler
The Uncertain Land and Other Poems
Patrick O'Brian
Progress: 8/160 pages
The Heptameron (Penguin Classics)
Marguerite de Navarre
Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 133/789 pages

Bath: Paintings by Peter Brown

Bath: Paintings by Peter Brown - Peter Brown

I got this book 2 months early, with my name in the Acknowledgements and for cheap, because I supported it on Kickstarter - the only crowdfunding project I've ever been involved in. This is because I love Bath and I love Peter Brown's paintings. I've met him a couple of times, seen him several more. Last time I spoke to him, he was working on "Pigeons in the Rain", cleverly set up under the colonade looking out on to Abbey Courtyard, thus giving him weather protection while he worked. There were no pigeons in the painting at that time. I had to see the finished work in the nearby Victoria Art Gallery in order to see the pigeons. In fact this book reproduces quite a few paintings I've seen for real and even held in my hands. I can't afford to actually buy one, though.

Brown lives in Bath which means he's painted all the obvious spots and many of the less obvious ones multiple times each. He's verging on Monet series painting in some cases, the same view in different weather, different times of day, of year. As usual my favourites are the snow paintings. The big surprise for me in this book was the section of interiors of his home and how good they were - odd for an obsessively "plein air" painter.