arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Prized Possessions
Progress: 76/534 pages
Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World
Nicholas Ostler
Progress: 250/615 pages
Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin #20)
Patrick O'Brian
Ted Hughes
Progress: 78/259 pages

Impressionism: Capturing Life, Jennifer Scott

Impressionism: Capturing Life - Jennifer Scott

A remarkable little exhibition of works by major and lesser known Impressionists held in smaller institutions across Britain. For me there were several notable things arising - not least that works by such Big Names exist outside the major galleries in London but still in Britain. The Impressionists are strongly associated with outdoor painting and therefore landscapes but here we are shown that portraiture was a bigger theme in their work than is commonly recognised and some of them even I recognise as excellent pictures! Finally, the Bath connection to Impressionism is stronger than I realised. As well as Sickert living and working nearby for several years, inspiring our contemporary plein air impressionist, Pete "the Street" Brown, the Victoria Art Gallery in the city held two Impressionist exhibitions in the early 20th Century, helping to establish the reputation of the founding Movement of "modern" art. I also discovered a second female Impressionist - Berthe Morisot. (I had already come across Mary Cassatt, also represented here.) It makes me wonder both whether there were more women in the mvement and whether this was the start of women being taken seriously as artists in the West? (The world?) Off-hand I can't think of a recognised female artist from before this era - would love to hear of any!
Little gem of a book about a little gem of an exhibition.