arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

The Books of Earthsea: The Complete Illustrated Edition
Ursula K. Le Guin, Charles Vess
Progress: 637/997 pages
Thomas Middleton and Early Modern Textual Culture: A Companion to the Collected Works
Thomas Middleton, Gary Taylor
Progress: 119/1183 pages
The Penguin Book of Russian Poetry
Robert Chandler
The Uncertain Land and Other Poems
Patrick O'Brian
Progress: 8/160 pages
The Heptameron (Penguin Classics)
Marguerite de Navarre
Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 133/789 pages

Impressionism: Capturing Life, Jennifer Scott

Impressionism: Capturing Life - Jennifer Scott

A remarkable little exhibition of works by major and lesser known Impressionists held in smaller institutions across Britain. For me there were several notable things arising - not least that works by such Big Names exist outside the major galleries in London but still in Britain. The Impressionists are strongly associated with outdoor painting and therefore landscapes but here we are shown that portraiture was a bigger theme in their work than is commonly recognised and some of them even I recognise as excellent pictures! Finally, the Bath connection to Impressionism is stronger than I realised. As well as Sickert living and working nearby for several years, inspiring our contemporary plein air impressionist, Pete "the Street" Brown, the Victoria Art Gallery in the city held two Impressionist exhibitions in the early 20th Century, helping to establish the reputation of the founding Movement of "modern" art. I also discovered a second female Impressionist - Berthe Morisot. (I had already come across Mary Cassatt, also represented here.) It makes me wonder both whether there were more women in the mvement and whether this was the start of women being taken seriously as artists in the West? (The world?) Off-hand I can't think of a recognised female artist from before this era - would love to hear of any!
Little gem of a book about a little gem of an exhibition.