arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Station Zero
Robert Chandler
The Uncertain Land and Other Poems
Patrick O'Brian
Progress: 8/160 pages
The Heptameron (Penguin Classics)
Marguerite de Navarre
Hainish Novels & Stories, Vol. 2
Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 133/789 pages

Arbieroo's Review of 2019's reading

OK, let's start with what did I say I wanted to acheive in 2019 and did I do it?:

52 Books: More than doubled! YAY! However, I was not expecting to be off sick for the entire year, thus giving much more time to read AND many of the books read were art books with little text and also with a low page count...

Finish Cummings' Complete Poems: YAY! I also read quite a bit of his other literary output and a biography.

Austen and the Brontes (Aim - minimum one novel/year): YAY! I read Emma, which sagged very heavily in the middle but made watching Clueless extra funny.

Ted Hughes: YAY! Good progress on obtaining and reading works unfamiliar to me. The remainder are pretty obscure.

Always be Reading Art Books (Aim - read 'em faster than I buy 'em): SUPERYAY! I read 45 vs only 6 bought...still ~30 unread on my shelf, though.

Reduce Mt. TBR: Yay? I reduced the total by a handful, but due to a lot of the art books read being not much bigger than pamphlets, the total page-count of unread books still went up...

2020 Goals:

Read 52 books, nominally: I set this target on Goodreads but I have to admit to being more interested in total page count, this year. (I'd prefer word count but that isn't readily available). This is in response to the flimsy art book experience of 2019.

Cummings/Hughes: Continue to acquire/read remaining books by or about Cummings and Hughes. At least read one book for each of them.

Austen and the Brontes (aim - minimum one novel/year): Northanger Abbey is up next for Austen, or will I be brave and pick up one of the two remaining Bronte novels?

Always be Reading Art Books (Aim - read 'em faster than I buy 'em): Given the aforementioned ~30 unread books, some of which could probably squish an entire litter of kittens (but you are evil and I hate you if you deliberately harm cats) I am carrying on with this.

Reduce Mt. TBR: I've decided, in the light of the whole variation in book length issue, to aim to read more pages than I buy - in fact to buy < 1/2 the number of pages that I read, thus explaining why I'm more interested in page counts than total books read.