arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Station Zero
Robert Chandler
The Uncertain Land and Other Poems
Patrick O'Brian
Progress: 8/160 pages
The Heptameron (Penguin Classics)
Marguerite de Navarre
Mick Imlah, Robert Crawford
Hainish Novels & Stories, Vol. 2
Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 133/789 pages
Clarissa Oakes (Aubrey/Maturin #15) - Patrick O'Brian I've mentioned before that a series of naval tales stuck in a perpetual 1812 and following the exploits of two individuals that is staggering on past double figures in terms of volumes must run in to problems of repetition and consequently risk dullness.

O'Brian, however (as I have also pointed out before) always seems to find something new in each outing for Aubrey and Maturin, thus saving each volume from dullness-of-plot. As for the inevitable repetitiveness of describing an essentially repetitive life (sailing a vessel for years without returning to a major port is necessarily as much a matter of routine as it can possibly be made), I've found that O'Brian's amiable, descriptive style and sufficient time between volumes of the series are an adequate antidote.

Since I'm not such a stylistic master as the author in question was, these reviews are probably now much duller than the books they review...

...so what's new here? Well, Ideal Captain Aubrey proves to be fallible after all and his dislike of having a woman aboard his ship is explored in depth. Meanwhile, Colonial politics is conducted in the usual manner, with guns and trinkets, the battle between Napoleon and King George sweeping over the natives of the Pacific without them much understanding what is happening.

With only 5 (!?) volumes to go, I expect to finish this series...can't say which year, though. Probably this decade...