arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

The Story of Kullervo
J.R.R. Tolkien, Verlyn Flieger
Progress: 5/192 pages
Top 10 Berin 2018
Jürgen Scheunemann
Progress: 139/192 pages
The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin, #19)
Patrick O'Brian
Progress: 132/281 pages
Ack-Ack Macaque
Gareth L. Powell
Progress: 249/792 pages
Introduction to Topology
Bert Mendelson
Progress: 10/224 pages
Four Revenge Tragedies: (The Spanish Tragedy, The Revenger's Tragedy, The Revenge of Bussy D'Ambois, and The Atheist's Tragedy) (Oxford World's Classics)
Katharine Eisaman Maus
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 392/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
Phèdre - Jean Racine, Ted Hughes Greek families! Histrionics, rash reaction instead of considered response, inability to control emotion. Tragedy.

I don't know much about this play: what was Racine's source? It feels very Classical Greek and very Ted Hughes and not really French at all in this version. The language is not as extreme, stylistically, as in Hughes' version of Seneca's Oedipus put the trademark bluntness, abruptness and anachronisms are all present and correct. If Hughes achieved anything with his translations of Classics and material with Classical sources, it was making gripping reading of them. He really did rescue these plays from lecture theatres and put them in real theatres.

I like this less than Hughes' other Greek-based works but I think it's to do with the source material - it's not as nutty as Oedipus or as philosophically interesting as The Oresteia - but that's not to say I disliked it at all: it got devoured in two short sessions.

Also seen at: http://www.shelfinflicted.com