arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Claudio Chiuderi, Marco Velli
Progress: 3/250 pages
Brian Attebery, Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 359/700 pages
Selected Short Stories - Conrad (Wordsworth Classics)
Keith Carabine, Joseph Conrad
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 108/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages
Gravitation (Physics Series)
Kip Thorne;Kip S. Thorne;Charles W. Misner;John Archibald Wheeler;John Wheeler
Progress: 48/1215 pages
Robert Burns Eman Poet Lib #16 - Robert Burns, Donald A. Low I struggled to get much out of this and I don't think it's really Burns' fault. To get any real appreciation one must both hear it in a Scots accent and understand the Scots dialect it is written in. I can mentally supply the former but I don't know the latter. Of course there are copious glosses to explain it all but reading them as you go disrupts the flow consierably. I'm used to dealing with this sort of thing when reading Middle English, when generally I end up reading the passage at least twice, but Middle English is easier than this Scots! Then most of these pieces turn out to be lightweight comic verses, satires and the like; not much return for the effort involved.