arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

The Story of Kullervo
J.R.R. Tolkien, Verlyn Flieger
Progress: 5/192 pages
Top 10 Berin 2018
J├╝rgen Scheunemann
Progress: 139/192 pages
The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin, #19)
Patrick O'Brian
Progress: 132/281 pages
Ack-Ack Macaque
Gareth L. Powell
Progress: 249/792 pages
Introduction to Topology
Bert Mendelson
Progress: 10/224 pages
Four Revenge Tragedies: (The Spanish Tragedy, The Revenger's Tragedy, The Revenge of Bussy D'Ambois, and The Atheist's Tragedy) (Oxford World's Classics)
Katharine Eisaman Maus
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe

All Families are Psychotic, Douglas Coupland

All Families Are Psychotic - Douglas Coupland

The title is the basic thesis; it's expanded to suggest that one only notices this about one's own family; everybody else's family seems sane and normal.

Well, the family presented here are faaaaar crazier than my family, which has a history of real, actual mental health problems. They're nuts in the sense that they are almost entirely a-moral and don't seem to know or care. My family isn't like that at all and I don't actually know any families as crazy as the Drummonds are.

Ah, yes, back-up; the Drummonds. They are introduced in a manner I can only describe as similar to having a cold omelette flung in your face. It happend really fast and most of it rapidly sank to the floor. I only retained a little by way of eggy fragments; most of the convolutions of the various relationships whizzed by or dripped down. Fortunately as the book went on I was able to figure it all out. Perhaps the problem was only that I was too sleepy when I read the opening part of the book.

Anyway, the Drummonds all slowly get tangled up in an increasingly crazy and unlikely adventure and the weirdest ever fairy godmother fixes everything at the end. It's a short, fast paced, humourous but preposterous book, more in the vein of JPod, Microserfs or Shampoo Planet than Generation X or Eleanor Rigby.

An entertaining, funny story but not in the least profound.