arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
Thomas Schreiber, Holger Kantz
Progress: 29/320 pages
Neurodiversity in Higher Education: Positive Responses to Specific Learning Differences
David Pollak
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe

Python Data Analytics

Python Data Analytics - Fabio Nelli

This book is not terrible but it could have been a lot better. The English is poor (the author is Italian, I think - certainly not a native English speaker, anyway) which makes it harder to follow what's going on - though not impossible. But here's the real problem; I am still spending more time looking things up online than in either of the two books on Python I have. This, to me, means they can't be good. By contrast, Mastering Matlab 7 by Duane C. Hanselman and Bruce Littlefield, is excellent and my copy is showing signs of imminent collapse through heavy use.

What's the difference? Total information content and it's presentation. The Matlab book contains vastly more info and much of it is concentrated in tables. My copy has a profusion of little post-it notes marking pages with reference tables that I use frequently. These are conspicuous by their absence in Python Data Analytics, except in the case of a  comprehensive appendix on Latex codes for use in plot annotation.

My search for a decent Python/SciKit reference goes on.