arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
Thomas Schreiber, Holger Kantz
Progress: 13/320 pages
Neurodiversity in Higher Education: Positive Responses to Specific Learning Differences
David Pollak
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe

The Box of Red Brocade

The Box of Red Brocade  - Catherine Fisher

This sequel to The Obsidian Mirror doesn't work quite as well as it's predecessor. There's more shenanigans with the mirror and split/shifting/uncertain loyalties and some surprises but it doesn't work well as a stand-alone book because it starts in the middle of events and finishes - in the middle of events.

It's abundantly clear that this isn't really a trilogy at all - it's one fairly long novel chopped into three chunks - the last of which I won't see for about a year. No doubt I will re-read books 1 and 2 when I get my hands on 3. I find this kind of thing frustrating; people can cope with long books as long as they aren't merely padded and there's no waffle here. It's very fast paced. Assuming volume 3 is approximately the same size as the other two, this totals to no more than roughly any two volumes of the Septimus Heap series which is aimed younger...