arbieroo

Arbie's Unoriginally Titled Book Blog

It's a blog! Mainly of book reviews.

Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
E.E. Cummings
Progress: 110/1102 pages
The Complete Plays and Poems
E.D. Pendry, J.C. Maxwell, Christopher Marlowe
She Stoops to Conquer and Other Comedies (Oxford World's Classics)
Henry Fielding, David Garrick, Oliver Goldsmith
Progress: 76/448 pages

The Wine Dark Sea, Patrick O'Brian

The Wine-Dark Sea (Aubrey/Maturin, #16) - Patrick O'Brian

As I stagger past the 3/4 mark of this enormous series of books I am struck by the observation that I am more interested in Maturin than Aubrey. Really though, it's being more interested in what's going on on land than on ship - which is the complete opposite of what I would have said in the first quarter of the series. The descriptions of sea life and action aren't bad - the prose is excellent - it's just that there have been so many of them that familiarity is breeding tedium. That said, the opening, with it's wine-dark sea, is something new.

With only four books to go, I will no doubt eventually finish this series but I wonder if O'Brian's collected works would have been better over-all if he had quit at say, book 10, and done something else for his later books.